Sunday 2 June 2019 - diary date

After 10 years of rebuilding and almost 2 years of testing on specials and a charter, Yx141 makes its public debut and will be finally turned over to the Locomotive Department of Pichi Richi Railway.

After the launch, Yx141 will undertake a return trip from Quorn to Woolshed Flat at 10:30am, followed by Quorn to Summit shuttles from 2pm onwards. Shuttle service tickets will be available on site on the day.

Yx141 began life more than 125 years ago in 1892 as Y141 and was one of 85 locomotives built at James Martin's  Foundry in Gawler, South Australia.  

Between 1904 and 1928 the South Australian Railways decided to upgrade 58 of the James Martin's locomotives with higher pressure boilers and Belpaire fireboxes, giving them a 25% increase in power over a standard Y class.  Those engines with new boilers and fireboxes were designated Yx.  Y141 was converted to Yx141 on 26 July 1923.

Yx141 spent its early days operating on the SAR Great Northern System where it would have worked over the whole system including working passenger and freight trains through Pichi Richi Pass to Port Augusta. 

In 1927 it was transferred to the isolated Port Lincoln Division, where Yx141 remained until retirement in 1963. It was placed in a playground  in Port Lincoln where it stayed for 20 years.

In 1983 it was transferred to the Pichi Richi Railway Preservation Society at Quorn.

Yx141 on display at a playground in Port Lincoln in 1973 before returning to Quorn in 1983 (Photo: Jeremy Browne)
Yx141 on a trial run near Bird Lake  (Photo: Damien Butler)