See the ancient Flinders Ranges landscape unfold before you on the full-day Afghan Express return trip from Port Augusta Railway Station to the historic outback town of Quorn.
Travelling the old Ghan route over red earth and bluebush plains from Port Augusta, you'll watch the ranges creep ever-closer before entering the Pichi Richi Pass with its rocky outcrops, dry riverbeds and beautiful hilly scenery.
The Afghan Express is the name railwaymen gave to the passenger train that ran from Terowie to Oodnadatta, through Quorn, in 1923. In time, this was abbreviated to the Ghan.
The railway was ultimately extended to Alice Springs by 1929. The Ghan used the Pichi Richi Railway route until 1956 when a new standard-gauge railway from Stirling North to Brachina bypassed the narrow gauge railway through the Pichi Richi Pass.
- Full-day journey from Port Augusta Railway Station
- Port Augusta to Quorn and return (78 km)
- Approximately 6 hour return journey, including 2 hour stopover in Quorn
- Wherever practicable, original Ghan steam locomotive NM25 and genuine timber-bodied carriages built in the late 1920s will be used
- Diesel services use an historic Ghan locomotive, either NSU52 or NT76
- Single (one-way) tickets are available for a one-way journey from either Port Augusta or Quorn
- Departs Port Augusta at 10.30 am, and arrives at Quorn at approximately 12.15 pm. The return journey departs Quorn at 2.30 pm, arriving at Port Augusta at approximately 4.30 pm
- Route map
|Saturday||26 March||10:30 AM||Port Augusta|
|Saturday||2 April||10:30 AM||Port Augusta|
|Saturday||16 April||10:30 AM||Port Augusta|
|Saturday||30 April||10:30 AM||Port Augusta|
|Saturday||14 May||10:30 AM||Port Augusta|
|Saturday||28 May||10:30 AM||Port Augusta|
|Saturday||11 June||10:30 AM||Port Augusta||Double Header Special WF to Quorn. Return Service 3.00 PM from Quorn|
|Saturday||25 June||10:30 AM||Port Augusta|
|Saturday||9 July||10:30 AM||Port Augusta|
|Saturday||16 July||10:30 AM||Port Augusta|
|Saturday||23 July||10:30 AM||Port Augusta|
|Saturday||13 August||10:30 AM||Port Augusta|
|Saturday||27 August||10:30 AM||Port Augusta|
|Saturday||10 September||10:30 AM||Port Augusta|
|Saturday||24 September||10:30 AM||Port Augusta|
|Saturday||1 October||10:30 AM||Port Augusta||Double Header Special WF to Quorn. Return Service 3.00 PM from Quorn|
|Saturday||8 October||10:30 AM||Port Augusta|
|Saturday||15 October||10:30 AM||Port Augusta|
|Child (4+) return||$27.00|
|Family return (2 adults, 2 children)||$194.00|
|Child (4+) one-way||$20.00|
|Family one-way (2 adults, 2 children)||$128.00|
See the bookings page for booking information.