The Afghan Express service turns the clock back to when the famous old Ghan travelled through the Pichi Richi Pass. Wherever possible, the Afghan Express uses distinctive timber-bodied carriages built in the late 1920s for the narrow gauge old Ghan train service, and restored old Ghan steam locomotive NM25, built in 1925.
The Afghan Express is the name railwaymen gave to the passenger train that ran from Terowie to Oodnadatta, through Quorn, in 1923. This was the first time a sleeping carriage was included on the train, and when an Afghan passenger alighted at Quorn to recite his evening prayers, the train was dubbed the Afghan Express by railwaymen. In time, this was abbreviated to The Ghan and eventually adopted by Commonwealth Railways officials.
The railway was ultimately extended to Alice Springs by 1929. The Ghan service used the Pichi Richi Railway route until 1956 when a new standard gauge railway from Stirling North to Brachina bypassed the narrow gauge railway through the Pichi Richi Pass.
- Genuine timber bodied carriages, including those of the 1930s Ghan
- Wherever practicable, original Ghan steam locomotive NM25 will be used
- Diesel services use an historic Ghan locomotive, either NSU52 or NT76
- Port Augusta to Quorn and return (78km)
- Approx. 5 hours 40 minutes return journey including 2 hours 20 minutes stopover in Quorn
- Single (one-way) tickets are available. You can have a one-way journey from either Port Augusta or Quorn.
- No refreshments on-board, however several outlets are within 3 minutes walk of Quorn station
- Services depart Port Augusta at 10:30am, and arrive at Quorn at approximately 12:10pm. The return journey then departs Quorn at 2:30pm, arriving at Port Augusta at approximately 4:10pm
- The Afghan Express service originates from Port Augusta.
|Saturday||5 September||10:30 AM||Port Augusta|
|Saturday||19 September||10:30 AM||Port Augusta|
|Saturday||26 September||10:30 AM||Port Augusta|
|Saturday||3 October||10:30 AM||Port Augusta||Double Header Special WF to Quorn. Return Service 3.00 PM from Quorn|
|Saturday||10 October||10:30 AM||Port Augusta|
|Saturday||17 October||10:30 AM||Port Augusta|
|Saturday||31 October||10:30 AM||Port Augusta|
|Child (4+) return||$26.00|
|Family return (2 adults, 2 children)||$183.00|
|Child (4+) one-way||$19.00|
|Family one-way (2 adults, 2 children)||$122.00|
See the bookings page for booking information.