Heritage railway operating since 1878
In 1878, construction commenced on the Port Augusta and Government Gums (now known as Farina, which is north of the Flinders Ranges) Railway. The line was extended to Oodnadatta in 1891 and further to Alice Springs (771 miles or 1241 km) in 1929, establishing an important rail link to Central Australia. The famous Ghan passenger train travelled this way between 1923 to 1956, and on the northern part of this route until 1980.
Watch gum-lined creeks, bluebush-studded hills and ancient rocky outcrops roll past at the relaxed pace of years gone by. All trains use historic steam or diesel locomotives or railcars or immaculately restored timber carriages some more than 130 years old.
Since 1973, volunteers of the Pichi Richi Railway Preservation Society continue to proudly restore and run the railway. In 2023 we are celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Society.
2023 SA Tourism Awards News
We were delighted to announce that Pichi Richi Railway received the Silver Award in the Tourist Attraction category at the 2023 South Australian Tourism Awards.