Quorn is a real outback railway town just 40 km from Port Augusta in the heart of the Flinders Ranges.
Quorn is popular as a backdrop for films and television and has featured in famous productions such as Gallipoli, The Shiralee, The Tracker, The Water Diviner, Stan series The Tourist and the Wolf Creek mini-series.
Quorn was the 2022 SA Tourism "Tiny Tourism Town" winner and an ideal base from which you can experience many of the Flinders Ranges' lesser-known delights. Read the Flinders Ranges and Outback Visitor Guide or contact Flinders Ranges Visitor Information Centre, phone 1800 220980 or +61 8 8620 0510 or email:
Things to do in Quorn
- Ride the Pichi Richi Railway (of course!). While you wait for your train, there's plenty more to see and do in and around Quorn.
- Take a self-guided walk around Quorn. Pick up or download the brochure from the Flinders Ranges Visitor Information Centre, located in the railway station.
- View the history of the railway in the Pichi Richi Railway Museum, located at the Quorn Railway Station.
- Book a workshop tour (subject to availability) and go behind the scenes of the railway.
- Explore Quorn's quirky and high-quality cafes, arts and crafts, and retail outlets, located on Railway Terrace or First Street, (the historic centre of town), a short walk from the railway station.
- Pull up a barstool and have a yarn with a local at one of the town's pubs; a reminder of the town's past as the railway "crossroads" of Australia. Try the Austral Hotel or the Transcontinental Hotel.
- If you're lucky you might find the eclectic secondhand bookshop "Q Books", just across from the railway station open. The hours are odd but it's a place any book lover could happily lose a few hours or days.
- Quorn Silo Light Show – a free, award-winning, outdoor show projects every night after sunset onto the silos in the Quorn Railway Station Yard. BYO chair, snacks & torch. Tune in on FM 87.6 on your car radio.
- Take a stroll around the indigenous plants showcased at the town's Powell Gardens and the Quorn Nature Reserve or enjoy a bush walk along Pinkerton Creek on the Pithi Kawi bush food garden (about 2km).
- Quorn Craft Shop – on First Street, opposite the hairdresser, selling a variety of handicrafts including knitting, and preserved and fresh food.
- Quorn Courthouse Museum - for opening hours, check the Flinders Ranges Council's event calendar
- Plan a visit to the Flinders Gin Distillery on First Street
- Quorn's Art Gallery is located on Railway Terrace – find local art and craftwork.
- Visit Michie's Kitchen for Japanese takeaway, opposite the Great Northern Lodge on First Street.
- Out of town, there are many scenic tracks to choose from nearby including Warren Gorge, home of yellow-footed rock wallabies; or the spectacular Devil's Peak in the Pichi Richi Pass. The Flinders Ranges Visitor Information Centre, located at Quorn Railway Station, has maps and directions.
Visit the Flinders Ranges Visitor Information Centre, located in historic Quorn Railway Station, and plan your own top 10!
For the latest information on events in Quorn see the Flinders Ranges Council's event calendar.